1. Attend A FestivalRichmond’s summer festival lineup is sizzling! With parties to celebrate everything from watermelon to Shakespeare, from foreign film to one-of-a-kind tomatoes, there’s bound to be a summer festival that’s right for you!
2. Have a Picnic at One of Richmond’s Scenic Overlooks
Have your lunch al fresco while enjoying the summer sun and gorgeous views at one of Richmond’s scenic overlooks. Bring your own lunch from home or support a local restaurant and grab some takeout for your meal!
Photo: Ron Cogswell
3. Go Whitewater Rafting
Photo: Bobby Gray
Among the many reasons to love Richmond is the fact that it’s the only city in America where you can kayak and raft class III and IV rapids in an urban setting. Spend some time cooling off on a rafting excursion of James River this summer!
4. Attend an Outdoor ConcertPhoto: Will Fisher
Summer concert series offer a great option for live and often-free entertainment! Richmond’s longest running concert series, Friday Cheers, returns to Brown's Island for its 37th season this summer. And of course, there’s the After Hours Concert Series – which will feature shows from acts like Lady A, Dashboard Confessional, Boyz II Men and more!
5. Attend A Squirrels GamePhoto: Richmond Flying Squirrels
The Richmond Flying Squirrels play host to 71 home games each year, and game day at The Diamond is about more than just baseball! From ‘Glow in the Dark Night’ to ‘Marvel Superheroes Night’, part of the fun of attending a Squirrels same are the promotions. And the fireworks, of course.
6. Go Thrill Seeking at an Amusement Park
Photo: King’s Dominion
No summer would be complete without a day at an amusement park. Luckily, several major amusement and water parks are just a short drive from Richmond, making them the perfect summer day trip destination.
7. Catch A Movie at The Drive-InPhoto: Goochland Drive-In Theater
There aren’t many drive-in movie theaters left, which makes a summer night spent watching movies at the Goochland Drive-In Theater even more special. Catch this summer’s new releases from the comfort of your own vehicle or while lounging on a blanket under the stars.
8. Learn About ButterfliesPhoto: Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
The North Wing of the Conservatory at Lewis Ginter is transformed into a wonderland of vibrant colors every April – October during Butterflies LIVE! Each day, new butterflies are released into the exhibit and you may even see newly emerged butterflies take their first flight. It’s a great option for some family-friendly fun this summer.
9. Peruse a Vendor MarketPhoto: PopUp RVA
PopUp RVA is Richmond’s newest and largest weekly vendors market featuring dozens of artisans, food trucks, distilleries and more! Every week has a different lineup, so you can support different local businesses each Saturday this summer!
10. Celebrate JuneteenthJoin Henrico Recreation & Parks at Dorey Park this Juneteenth for a vendor fair, kids zone, fireworks and more in celebration of our country’s second Independence Day. The RVA Black Farmers Market also kicks off this Juneteenth!
11. Show Your PrideEndless Summer of Pride kicks off pride month with a series of more than 20 events, extending through the end of September and culminating with VA Pridefest! Celebrate at one or all the events, which include drag bingo, happy hours, live music and more.
12. Celebrate the 4th of JulyEnjoy a post-game Super Blast fireworks display at The Diamond, free admission to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, or catch the fireworks from a deserted island on the James River! However you choose to spend your Independence Day in Richmond, it's sure to be a blast.
Come Home to Metropolis at Innsbrook
Located just a short drive from downtown Richmond, our upscale apartment community in the sought-after Innsbrook neighborhood of Glen Allen, Virginia will begin pre-leasing in Fall 2022. Make sure to join our mailing list and be among the first to receive pre-leasing updates at Henrico County’s newest luxury apartment community!